Supporting Blackwood & Kirkmuirhill Community Resilience Group
(see below for Rules & Entry Form)
N.B. Closing date now Tuesday 30th June 2020!!!
Welcome to the webpage for ‘Just Imagine’ – A Short Story Competition. We hope that you and/or your family will take part in this community activity!
Reasons for holding this competition:
- To cheer people up during lockdown and to release that imagination!
- To provide some financial support to the Resilience Group in their fantastic role of helping vulnerable people in our community
- To allow anyone of any age to have a go at writing a story and discover a hidden talent.
- Competition is open only to residents of Blackwood, Kirkmuirhill, Boghead, Auchenheath, Draffan and Tillietudlem.
- Four entry bands – adults (max 1200 words), 13-17s (max 1000 words), 9-12s (max 500 words), under 9s (max 150 words). No need to meet the max, but must not exceed it
- Suggested donations are £5 (adults) and £3 (13-17s) and £1 (under 13s)
- Donations payable online directly to Blackwood & Kirkmuirhill Community Resilience Group
- Any number of stories can be submitted by the same author subject to a separate entry form and entry donation being provided for each story
- Stories written by under 16s must be submitted by an adult (parent/guardian)
- Stories to be in Word Doc format only, with the word count printed at the end
- Each story should have a title
- Author’s name must not appear on the story page(s)
- Stories should not have been previously published, either online or in print
- Stories may be written in English, Scots, or Gaelic
- The theme is entirely open
- Fiction or non-fiction allowed
- There will be two winners from each entry band
- The winning stories will appear on the local Facebook Pages. After lockdown is over winners, their families, and friends will be invited to a special presentation in the Thornton Road Community Centre where the Lord Provost of South Lanarkshire will present certificates to the winners. The winners will also be invited to read their stories to the audience.
Prizes (grateful thanks to Falck Auchrobert for funding book-tokens to the value of):
Under 9s – First - £15: Second - £10
9-12s - First - £20; Second - £15
13-17s - First - £30: Second - £25
Adults - First - £40: Second - £35
How to enter:
1. Pay the appropriate donation amount online (to Blackwood & Kirkmuirhill Community Resilience Group) via their bank account (sort code 83-15-10 account number 00154572)
[Any extra donation to the Resilience Group would be welcome]
2. Click here to obtain a Competition Entry Form
3. Send your completed Entry Form and Story to firstname.lastname@example.org by
30th June 2020 at latest.
Ethyl Smith (Author, Changed-Times-Historical-Novels)
and Dennis White (TRCCA Chair)